Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Starting new PostgreSQL blog

Today, I decided to start a Postgres blog as I started to learn about it. I have had exposure to Postgres since a 3 years back where our company started designing Postgres as backend database for more than half of our products with 8.4 then 9.1 but I have never shown any interests on picking it up and getting serious about it. That's may be due to I am too occupied with Oracle database. In addition, the demand for Postgres job market is always on the weak side. With that, Postgres is not very appealing to me. I hardly seen any companies hiring a Fulltime Postgres DBA. They always comes in the skills that good to have but not the primary skill set that companies are looking for. Market share wise, Postgres ranked 4th after Oracle, MSSQL and MySQL based on this article http://db-engines.com/en/ranking . From my experience, the market share in the link is about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment